Thursday, May 26, 2011

School Daze: Blow Outs

Aveda.com
Yesterday we had a blow dry competition at Carsten Aveda. All the evening students performed a scalp, shoulder and hand massage using Aveda stress relieving Blue Oil and Hand Relief lotion, we washed our clients hair and then we were given about an hour & a half to blow dry and style their hair. Unfortunately, amongst all the excitement and chaos I forgot to get a before photo of my model Amy. (this happens to me more often than I'd like and halfway through the service I end up cursing at myself for forgetting). My original plan was to blow Amy's hair stick straight but at the last minute decided to over direct and rotate her hair to create volume and body, I'm happy I changed my mind and I loved the end result. When I was halfway done, I glanced around to check out the competition and noticed a girl in a blue dress with brunette hair and beautiful curls...my jaw dropped I had never seen a blowout look so polished and stunning especially within such a short amount of time. I had heard through the grape vine that there was a student named Oksana in one of the other classes who did absolutely amazing blowouts. Once the dust settled (and I picked my jaw up off the floor), Instructors went around from model to model to assess our work and then they announced the well deserved winner was Oksana, she won a spa day. If there's one thing I've learned its that A blowout can make or break your cut or color service. It may seem like a simple task blowing hair out but truthfully it is not easy to achieve the perfect final result and as a stylist in training it is something I'm going to strive to be great at. 


Thanks Amy for being my model, I had so much fun! 
(Next time I need to remember BEFORE pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...