Monday, September 12, 2011

The Best Defense is a Great Offense: Lice


It's Back to School time & as many parents know, head lice are a common problem for school aged children 4-12. As a babysitter I'm around kids all the time (luckily its been years since I've heard of an outbreak scare in the schools in Hoboken, knock on wood) and the shear idea of head lice has caused me to have extreme paranoia when it comes to prevention. I literally have my boyfriend check my hair after I'm around any children, I use the Fairy Tales Hair Prevention line and I also use Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo and Conditioner. I've even purchased the medicated shampoo treatment and used it just for good measure. I make it a point to keep my hair pulled up when I'm around kids or working on clients on the salon floor. As a professional hairstylist you always want to check your clients for any signs of lice before beginning a service. If you do find any symptoms recommend the clients parent/guardian that they see a physician and stop your service. And I understand my paranoia may seem a little wacky but the concept of combing out bug eggs from my hair makes my craziness worth it.

Practice good prevention to save yourself from the misery that is lice extraction.
Use hair products like Lice Shield, Fairytales and Mint shampoo
Do not share hair accessories, hats or combs & brushes
Keep hair pulled back in braids or a bun
Check your families scalp once a month,
mention to your nanny or sitter that they should check their hair from time to time too.
Wash Pillowcases weekly and use hot water


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...